Put your dollars to work. We offer several tools to help maximize your donation’s impact for lake country conservation. To learn more about:
- Employer Match Program
- Planned Giving
- Business or Corporate Sponsors
Employer Match Program
Many employers offer matching programs or other incentives for charitable giving. Whether you’re an employee looking to amplify the impact of your gift or an employer looking to establish or grow your corporate giving program, we’d love to hear from you.
A planned gift is a lasting gift to ensure we have the resources to honor our commitment to preserving land to protect water. When you include the Northern Waters Land Trust in your estate plans, you make a gift for future generations to experience the lands and lakes we all hold dear.
There are many ways to include the Land Trust in your estate plans.
- Bequests — Allocate any amount, percentage, or remainder of your estate or other assets to the Northern Waters Land Trust through your will or revocable living trust. It’s easy to do and donors who leave a bequest can take an estate tax deduction of 100 percent of the gift’s value. This is a perfect way to benefit the Land Trust when you no longer need your assets yourself.
- Designate an IRA (Individual Retirement Plan)— Name the Land Trust as a beneficiary of your retirement account as a way to give back and gain tax savings. IRA accounts listing Northern Waters Land Trust as the beneficiary are free of estate and income taxes.
- List NWLT on your Life Insurance Policy— Naming the Land Trust as a beneficiary of your life insurance policies gives the insurance proceeds to us and removes them from your taxable estate.
- Donate Land — We wouldn’t be here without landowners who care about the future of the Minnesota’s lakes. Spare yourself the inconvenience and details of selling property that no longer suits your needs by donating it to the land to the Northern Waters Land Trust. From there, we’ll evaluate the land and either conserve it or use the sale proceeds to protect our region’s vital lands and waters. We accept all kinds of real estate, including houses and investment properties. Plus, your land doesn’t have to look like a nature preserve to support our mission. (In these cases, we would then sell the property to acquire land that is valuable as habitat or that furthers our conservation goals.)
- Gifts of Securities —If you’re fortunate enough to own stock that has increased in value since you purchased it, donating appreciated stock can be a very cost-effective way to support the work of NWLT, and may provide you with tax advantages. The easiest way to make a gift of stock is to transfer the shares electronically. A gift of appreciated stock may also allow you to make a larger contribution than a cash donation. Contact us to ask for information on making the transfer.